Saturday, February 13, 2010

the Forums Are Dead, Long Live the Forums

on February 9th (after one weeks notice) forums.secondlife.com went offline, and after a short while, were reborn in a drastically reduced form on blogs.secondlife.com/community/forums.... I'm not exactly happy with this fact, especially since vBulletin was replaced with (such an apt company name) Jive Software's "Clearspace".... meh... lots of missing and broken features, but at least they're still alive.

Now one weeks notice kinda hurt, and I spent most of that week ignoring phonecalls, archiving most of the scripting library, and starting a group to collect the people that frequented Scripting Tips, plus all the Content Creation stickies, and several posts and items of personal value. then it was off to Jira to file over two dozen bug reports and feature requests for the new forums, so that they could be as feature rich as the old ones... I was in the middle of doing that during the changeover.

The Old forums are set to be archived, and should be searchable sometime in mid March.

So what have I been doing the last few days since it died? Well I cleaned my house (since I hadn't touched it since this mess started) took a moment to congratulate myself for doing what I did, caught up with some friends, and did something that YOU dear reader, will appreciate... I wrote a Greasemonkey script for FireFox, that allows you to IGNORE those pesky people that just really seem to add nothing to your forum reading....

Ah... ignorance IS bliss =)

No comments: